California Common Sense (www.cacs.org) is a non-partisan non-profit founded by Stanford students and alumni to open government to the public, develop data-driven policy analysis, and educate citizens about how their governments work. Our team is young, dynamic, and passionate about our mission.
We are developing an online platform centered around data-driven civic education, and we are on the hunt for top research talent. CACS leverages technology to open government and democratize the flow of information. Joining our team will give you the opportunity to take ownership of projects, conduct forward-thinking original research, bring your own flavor to our start-up culture, and receive mentorship from a stellar Silicon Valley board.
Our areas of specialization include state and local finances, pension reform, healthcare industry analysis, campaign finance, and introductory educational tools about government. We take on the issues that matter most to our body politic and seek answers based in data rather than rhetoric. As a research analyst, you would combine primary research with content creation for the many audiences we serve. That content could include full scale reports, policy briefs, newspaper-style articles, data visualizations, infographics, and others. Your day-to-day tasks would be to analyze and build econometric models, boil down highly complex conceptual structures into simple terms, package and organize the information into a variety of formats that are intuitively approachable and engaging, and create advanced visualizations. Thus experience with data manipulation and analysis is essential.
- Bachelor's in a social science discipline such as political science, economics, or similar
- Proven facility with statistical analysis and research design methods
- Applied knowledge of SAS, Stata, R or equivalent mathematical packages for both data manipulation and analysis
- Excellent writing skills, especially in presentation of complex information
- Start-up level energy combined with a passion for reshaping California’s government into a more efficient and sustainable structure.
- Graduate level work in social science or applied economics
- Experience in state or local government, especially in accounting or finance
- Visual design abilities
- Experience using Tableau, Google Refine, LexisNexis
- Familiarity with public accounting methods
- Health coverage
- Daily meals and refreshments are always provided.
- The rare combination of fulfilling work done in a genuinely fun and dynamic environment
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Research Analyst.” Attach a cover letter and resume.